“Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.” — Henry Anatole Grunwald
Journalism is concerned with collection and dissemination of news through the print media as well as the electronic media. This involves various areas of works like reporting, writing, editing, photographing, broadcasting or cable casting news items.
Journalism is classified into two categories (i) Print Journalism and (ii) Electronic (Audio/Visual) Journalism. Print Journalism includes newspapers, magazines and journals. In print journalism one can work as editor, reporter, columnist, correspondent etc. Electronic journalism includes working for Radio, Television and the Web. In the web, skilled people are required to maintain sites by web newspapers (which cater only to the web and do not have print editions). In electronic journalism one can be a reporter, writer, editor, researcher, correspondent and anchor.
The opportunities for journalists are endless but the job too has become very challenging, as the new world is proving the adage that “the pen (and the camera) is mightier than the sword.” Career in journalism is a prestigious profession as well as a highly paid one. They can find employment with newspapers, periodicals and magazines, central information service, press information bureau, AIR and TV channels etc.
The Department of Journalism and Mass Communication was established in 2009. Presently Shri Manish Khanna, acting as the coordinator of the department.
Under Graduation: BJMC (Duration: 6 Semesters)
Journalism as an optional subject.
Ad-on-Course : Mass Communication & Video Production
- Ms. Meenakshi Mohan
Miss Pretty, MJMC, M.Phil.
Mrs. Payal Sharma, M.A
Mr. Jyoti Vardhan Mahajan, MJMC.
Mr. Arun K.Singh, M.A (J & M C) HONS
Distinctions of the Department:
- Qualified, young, energetic, dedicated and committed faculty.
- Emphasis on practical and specialised technical training along with theoretical aspect.
- Well-equipped Media Labs.
- The Department publishes monthly Lab Journal - “DAV Arya”.
- Documentary ‘Ankahi Awaaz’, made by students of the department won 3rd Prize in National Film Festival organized by Jaganath Institute of Management Sciences, New Delhi, on January 18, 2013
- The department students won the overall trophy in Media Fest, organized by GNDU, Regional College, Jalandhar, on November 20, 2012.
- Panel Discussion was organized on Press Day, November 16, 2012 and experts like Jasdeep Singh Malhotra, Bureau Chief, HT, ShashiRanjan, Bureau Chief, PTI and Ram Gopal, Incharge, VishavSamwadKandar, Jalandhar participated.
- UGC sponsored National Seminar on “New Media and Present Scenario” was organized on October 19-20, 2012.
- Workshop was organized on “Editing Techniques in Electronics and Print Media”, on September 11, 2012.
- The department students won the overall trophy in Media Fest, organized by Doaba College, Jalandhar, on February 13, 2012.
- Press Day was celebrated on November 16, 2011 and media experts like Amarjit Singh Thind, “Bureau Chiefs, Sr. The Tribune, Jasdeep Singh Malhotra, Bureau Chief, HT, ShashiRanjan, Bureau Chief, PTI participated.
- Extension Lecture was organised on “Print Editing Skills” the key speaker was Mr. Jasdeep Singh Malhotra, Senior Correspondent, Hindustan Times, on March 16, 2010.
- Workshop was organised on “RJying&Film Making” by Satraj Joshi, Film & Ad Maker from Mumbai, on August 25, 2009.
- Extension Lecture was organized on“Electronic Media” the Key speaker was Mr. SourabhKapoor, Producer, Headlines Today, New Delhi, on November 10, 2009.