"Geography is a subject which has a reputation for being down to earth; its focus is on the real world, its landscapes and the way it is used".—Felix Driver
These are exciting times for geographers. Just about every major issue facing society at present has a geographical dimension, from localized flooding to global flows of capital and from environmental degradation to inequable development. Geography is repositioning itself to meet these challenges, building upon its traditions as a broad, exacting and welcoming discipline that respects both process and place.
The Department of Geography was started in June 1955 with the efforts of then Principal LalaSurajBhanJi. Prof. I.N.Chawala was the founder Head of the department and was ably assisted by Prof. K.L.Gauri. In January 1959, Prof. R.K.Wahi took over the charge as Head of department and served for about three decades. Prof. S.K. Dosanj took over as Head of the department in August 1988. During his tenure as Head, the Department crossed a mile stone by startingHonours in Geography. Since November 1991, under the able guidance of Prof. A K Trivedi, the department is to maintaining high academic standards.
Under Graduation : Geography as an optional subject.
- Shri Kanwar Deepak, M.A., M. Phil., Head
- Shri Kranti Kumar Shangari, M.A., M. Phil.
- Miss Gurleen Kaur M.A.
Distinctions of the Department:
- Qualified committed and dedicated faculty and technicians.
- Modern and well equipped laboratories.
- Ultra-Modern Geographic equipments like Anemo Meter, Alti Meter, Clino Meter, Hygrometer etc.
- Emphasis on practical knowledge along with theoretical studies.
- ‘The Geography Association’ organizes various Extension Lectures, Conferences, Seminars & paper presentations to develop academic skills among the students.
- The Department has applied for Post Graduate Diploma in Remote Sensing and Geographical Information System (GIS).
- The Department has plans to install Weather Observatory equipment like Automatic Weather Station, Digital LED display board for weather data and seismograph.